Wednesday 16 September 2015

GOING BANANAS @ BANANA LEAF (SILOM COMPLEX)

Banana Leaf is considered a Bangkok institution by me because it was one of the restaurants I ate on my maiden trip to the City of a Thousand Smiles. We are talking about 28 years ago! 

They have shifted from the basement and moved up to the fourth floor of the newly-renovated Silom Complex (linked to Saladeang BTS station). If it's everyday Thai food at very reasonable prices that you seek, this is the place to be.
We were there in May and this is their steamed fish we ordered, something I must have on every trip in Bangkok. Would you look at how generous their topping of chillies and garlic is? I insist you have to order it.
Be warned though that their portions are very Thai as well, which is to say pretty small. Why do you think the Thais are so slim and svelte? But this is good cos you can order many dishes to try, no?

Last year, Nor and I wanted to venture down memory lane so we went to the branch we visited during our early days in Bangkok. Nothing about it has changed the past 20-odd years. It was as if time stood still.
In the picture above, Nor pursed his already super thin lips and pointed at the steamed fish very accusingly because it had minced pork in it. So I had it all to myself kekeke. They even gave us another big pot of the fish soup (see above).
The steamed egg plant with egg was extremely yummy. The prawns with bamboo shoots was also a winner for the night. We finished the meal with, what else, but mango sticky rice. Super satisfying indeed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment